Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Kuranda Tourist Train and Sky Tram

I woke up at 2:30 a.m.  According to the Paton Learn to Knit book my stitch tension and my row tension are a little tight.  It says to try again with the next larger size needle.  If I can't find a 7.5mm needle at Kuranda, I may just unravel what I have done and try to use less tension.

I got to say hello to grandson Caleb on Skype this morning.  He was finishing his school work and getting ready to play World of Warcraft.

I checked email and Facebook and read my Bible readings.  And I was suddenly very sleepy.

I walked to Cairns Central Station to catch the train to Kuranda.  It was about a forty minute walk.  On the way I stopped at a place called Fusion and got a fresh orange juice.

The Kuranda Tourist Train departed the station at 9:30.  The ride to Kuranda took about 1-1/2 hours.  We stopped at Barron Falls to get photos and enjoy the scenery.  A little two year old boy named David sat beside me with his family.  It was a joy to experience the train ride with him, because he LOVES trains.  He had on his Thomas the Tank Engine t-shirt.  I had a window seat so he sat in my lap a little while and looked out the open window.  He was a sweetheart...very verbal...can could count backwards, which impressed me immensely.

Julie, a new friend, sat across from me on the train.  She lives in Melbourne now but just recently moved back to Australia from a two year stint in China with her husbands job assignment.  She was interested in my studies on natural healing because she has had life-threatening health problems recently.  She commented on how you wonder why you meet certain people.  I agree.  When we got to Kuranda Village we stayed together and took the free bus to the markets.  We had lunch together at The Queen Bee Cafe.  We both had a fresh carrot-apple juice and a Caesar Salad.

I bought a Kuranda shopping bag for $4.50 at the Kuranda train station. 

For the return trip, I took the Sky Tram.  I didn't want to ride by myself so I tagged along with a young Indian couple from Melbourne.  They were celebrating their one year wedding anniversary with four days in Cairns.  The trip back down on the Sky Tram was about an hour.  My hands were clammy, so I guess I was a little nervous about being so high.  I acted calm, least most of the time.

The Sky Tram ended at the bottom of the mountain.  My tour package included a bus ticket to get me back to the Mercure.  My ticket was for 4:00 p.m. so I had to wait an hour for my bus.  There wasn't any room on the 3:00 bus so it wasn't possible for me to go earlier.

At 6:00 I went down to the restaurant, Teshi's, here at the hotel and had dinner...peppermint tea, vegetarian saffron linguine, and some hot chips.

I unraveled all my knitting and started over....trying to get the tension right.

To health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment